Monday, June 29, 2009

"Nice Lookin' Papoose Ya Got There..."

So, I know I live in NW Indiana, but I would have thought the Baby Bjorn had been out for quite some time. Mondays are my grocery shopping day, as I find that the store is quieter, and I'm not as rushed and in the way. So I strap Raf to me in the Baby Bjorn, and off we go. But in two consecutive visits, I've had the same comments.

6/22/09
I'm checking out, and an older man is bagging the groceries with a middle aged woman. I'm seriously 3 feet away.

Old Man: Well, lookie there. What's she got on, a papoose or something? Looks like an Indian thing.

Woman: Those? Um, those have been out since the 80's I think. See how he's been asleep the whole time she was shopping?

Old Man: Since when did we get our parenting ideas from the Indians?

Me: (thinking) I can HEAR you!

As Laura Collins pointed out, Native Americans are an underrepresented group in offensive comments this day in age, so I suppose he was trying to boost those numbers?

____________________________________________________________________
So then, today. 6/29/09

Me: (in the fruit and vegetable aisle)

Old Lady: Nice lookin' papoose you got there!

I cannot be the only person shopping that occasionally straps their child to them. Can I?

2 comments:

  1. May I add...had it been a guy saying, "nice little papoose", I may have thought they were hitting on me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly you can't be the only one carrying their baby in a sling. I think old folks just like to share their comments, appropriate or not.

    I met an elderly neighbor yesterday walking his dog, and he asked me if I had a baby on the way. I informed him I did, and he said, "Well, you look it!"

    Good to know.

    ReplyDelete